Monday 15 September 2014

Day 16 - Ochavango River

Monday 15 Sept. 
I believe I am the first to waken as it is still dark outside and there are the new sounds that I listen to in bed before getting up to photograph the sunrise as it rises across the river. It is quite beautiful but a bit eerie as I am aware of the potential of a dangerous encounter with a hippo at this time of the morning. One has been sleeping in the yard the last couple of nights and the local guide instructed us to ensure we are not between it and the river as there are more people killed in Africa by Hippos Than any other animal. They are very territorial and quite aggressive. They have no natural enemies. 
Coffee was supposed to be ready by 6, but the dining area is deserted when I get there. The sun is blood red and just coming up so I decide to go out on the deck over the river to take some shots as I step onto the deck something gives me a push on the back of my leg, above the knee. I am shocked and scared with a lot of different scenarios of my death racing thru my mind as I stifle a scream and jerk my head around to discover the boxer wagging his tail and looking for a pat on his head. So much for my wake up call, heh heh. 
I shoot some shots, and head back to the tent to see Mike and Tim are up and down by the river getting some nice close ups of the hippos. I join them for a bit before we go to breakfast as we have an 8 AM game drive to go on. 
The game drive lasts until noon and is pretty good as we see some animals we have not come across yet. We see Sable Antelope which are quite rare, some monkeys, and have a close encounter with an elephant who shakes his head and rushes the vehicle in a very threatening manner. Luckily he stops about 40 ft. away, as the motor is not running and he would have had no difficulty I trashing the vehicle and us. We had just been watching him uproot a small tree and pulling up the roots to munch on when he apparently got annoyed with our presence. 
We stop and have a drink near some water and a 1000 yr old Baobob Tree. It is spectacular and I take some photos of it and some other misshapen trees in the area. 
At 3:30 our group has a meeting where Mishek goes over our itinerary for the remaining days of our trip. We are to enter Botswana tomorrow and they will not accept Namibian dollars so we should get rid of it prior. 
I am booked on a river cruise at 4:30 which is quite disappointing as there is little to see, the driver doesn't seem to have a good grasp on the boat and I felt my time would have been better spent at the lodge relaxing. Those that stayed were treated to a sight of a couple of elephants coming down to the river to drink. At least this sunset cruise only cost $20.00. 
Supper is Oryx Stroganoff over rice and very tasty. It is a late (8Pm) supper once again. I mention something about supper and am corrected by our Australian friends that it is dinner lol. 
I am finally able to get on the wifi which is not very good here but at least we finally have some internet. I get a couple of emails and blogs off to Darlene and also get an update on how everything is going back home. 
We leave our canvas curtains up this evening to allow fresh air to come in which makes for a pleasant night's sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment